Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Diving Into the Season

Well, Melee is alive and kickin' (and also getting our butts kicked with all the 40's we've been running, though we do need it)

We've had our first week and a half of practice, including a mini camp all last weekend! Melee's been having a very zone-heavy season so far (not that I'm complaining.. I love zone.. but then again I'm not in the cup this season hehe sorry Shereen, Kayla and Ash). As a member of both the Zone O and Zone De line, I can vouch for the fact that there is plenty of room for improvement, but with a lot of less-experienced Zone players I think our learning curve should be nice and steep! I also hear that post-Pres Day we get to do some work on Ho which will be good to broaden some minds.

Injuries do seem to follow Melee like the plague. We've got about 5 players out this week (including our two ACL tears) so our practices are 18 strong for now. Pres Day we hope to have a great showing, especially with our first game Saturday morning against Kali. Personally, I think that the UPA should see reason and give us two bids to Nattys.. but if not, I guess we'll just have to be the best fair and square.

Our buddy groups for workouts come out this week.. I did this week's workout on my own and found the shuttles/agility/strength/throwing a good complement to our drill-heavy first several practices. Mayhem's actually been making Melee look bad lately doing all their fitness on the field over ;)

On an unrelated note, laying out on not well-grassed fields has my shins all nasty looking. I guess we'd never have to lay out if all our throws were perfect, huh? Shoutout to rookie Kayla for feeding us old ladies on the team with her on-campus food wealth. Much appreciated. And as I expected I am just as in love with all my Meladies as always. They're really great. And diverse, as has been pointed out recently!

So, I know every frisbee team thinks their teammates are the best in the world.. but I still posit that that holds true for Melee.

I find out in about three weeks if I get to stay at UT for grad school.. fingers crossed.

"what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" cliche.. yes. but, I've applied it to soccer, cross country and now ultimate. Always push yourself. Unless you fall over dead, it's going to make you a better player. And from my experience, death by 40's is rather unlikely. *knock on wood*

'Til next time-
Melee Love xo

ps Julie aka Turtle is very insistent my photo get fixed.. but don't be fooled, I haven't gone to a computer class or something. I will leave that to her.


[[Edit from Julie]]
Instead of working on my physics homework due in less than 2 hours, I fixed the header so now y'all can all see our beautiful team on your screen at once instead of having to scroll :)

2 comments:

  1. hey, it has nothing to do with learning computers and everything to do with you just not being tech savvy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay this makes me so much happier :D and now i can sneak onto your blog and write random comments muahhahahahhaa

    ReplyDelete